Division of Transportation

The Department’s Division of Transportation – Central Motor Pool is responsible for management and oversight of the GVI fleet and its GPS platform, fuel program, and fleet management services. This includes, but is not limited to: the purchase of Government motor vehicles through standardization; ensuring vehicle safety and maintenance, procurement of fuel-efficient motor vehicles; registration and inspection of vehicles; supplying fuel for the fleet; vehicle auctions; and the disposal of vehicles from the fleet at the end of their life cycle.

The Division of Transportation supervises the operations of the Central Motor Pool facilities in the Government, which includes the acquisition, assignment, loan, disposal, identification, refueling, maintenance, repair, and storage of all motor vehicles within the Executive Branch. 

Current initiatives within the Transportation Division include:

  • GPS Fleet Management System 2.0 (2021) for Heavy Equipment and Special Vehicles

  • GO FLEET Initiative in collaboration with the Virgin Islands Energy Office 

  • Motor Pool Renovation St. Thomas (pending FEMA approval)

  • Motor Pool Construction St. Croix (pending  FEMA approval)

Authority for exercising control and management of Government Property in the U.S. Virgin Islands is vested in the Commissioner of Property and Procurement. Section 201 of Title 31 of the Virgin Islands Code constitutes the basis for all actions by the Commissioner in matters relating to the management and control of public property.


The Vehicle Loan Program is administered by the Central Motor Pool and provides temporary loaned vehicles for various purposes. Requests are made through the Office of the Commissioner via the Transportation Division at

Vehicle registration services are provided by the Division of Transportation for all new vehicles and annual registrations in collaboration with the Bureau of Motor Vehicles. DPP announces the annual schedule for inspection and registration renewals during the latter part of the calendar year.

The Division of Transportation employs mechanics in each district that services its fleet vehicles for basic maintenance and repair services. Waivers are granted for vehicles to be serviced by the dealerships once still under warranty and also specialized parts and services beyond our mechanics scope of work. Maintenance inspections may be scheduled via phone or email at

Vehicle Auctions are events that alternate between districts for vehicles that are at the end of their lifecycle. User agencies transfer these vehicles over to DPP that are then prepared for public auction and sold to the highest bidder. Interested bidders must preregister with our Fiscal Office to take part in these auctions.

The Division of Transportation provides towing services to its user agencies to transport damaged and non-operational vehicles from one point to the other. Please contact to arrange for a tow.


Can a non-profit organization request the use of a loaner vehicle?

The use of Government vehicles is restricted to official Government Use only.

What does the government vehicle self-insurance policy cover?

In instances where a Government employee is deemed to be at fault in a vehicular accident and that employee was acting within the scope of their employment (i.e. official duties), the Virgin Islands Tort Claims Act (33 V.I.C.§3401 et seq.) provides a mechanism to address property damage, personal injury and wrongful death suffered by the other party.

Please explain the vehicle moratorium.

Pursuant to Memorandum No. 02-2020 dated December 13, 2019, DPP is mandated to ensure that agencies purchase fuel-efficient, hybrid, electric, and alternative fueled vehicles.
The Virgin Islands Fire Service, Department of Public Works, Virgin Islands Police Department and Emergency Medical Technicians, anticipates that bucket trucks, repair trucks, and other specialty vehicles will be exempt from this moratorium on gasoline-fueled vehicles, in the event that hybrid or alternative fueled vehicles are not available, feasible or cost effective in accordance with Title 12, Section 1129(d)(3) and (4) of the Virgin Islands Code.

Are individuals who are not Government employees permitted to drive or ride in Government vehicles?

No. Only Government employees are permitted to drive or ride in Government vehicles.

What does the TPM (Tire Pressure Monitor) gauge on the dashboard mean?

The TPM (Tire Pressure Monitor) indicates that the tire needs air.

How do I request vehicle maintenance or repairs?

Requests for vehicle maintenance and repairs are handled as follows:

  1. Agency/Department calls DPP Motor Pool to make an appointment for service;
  2. Work order is generated;
  3. Vehicle is assigned to the Mechanic;
  4. Vehicle is assessed for damages;
  5. Notes are given to the Coordinator/Superintendent;
  6. An estimate is generated; and
  7. Estimate is given to the Agency/Department so Purchase Order can be generated to process payment to DPP.
What is the process to request a loaner vehicle?

A loaner vehicle must be requested in advance to the Commissioner of DPP. Approval is granted on a first-come first-served basis by the Commissioner and then forwarded to the Division of Transportation for scheduling.

Is the agency responsible for replacing a lost/damaged key or key fob?

Yes. The agency/department will be required to go to the dealership or locksmith to receive a quote(s) to be entered into the ERP System. Please ensure that the chosen vendor is registered with the Government of the VI.

What should I do if I am operating a Government vehicle and it breaks down?

Call DPP Division of Transportation and provide the vehicle location, Department/agency’s name, license plate number, make, model and color. A DPP wrecker will be dispatched to provide assistance.

What should I do if I am operating a Government vehicle and become involved in an accident?
  1. Do not move the vehicle;
  2. Call 911 immediately to report the accident;
  3. Contact your Supervisor;
  4. Take pictures of the accident scene;
  5. Notify DPP Transportation Division;
  6. If the vehicle requires a wrecker, request the wrecker from DPP’s Transportation Division; and
  7. Complete Vehicle Accident Report Form on DPP website.
  8. Obtain a police report and submit it along with photos and DPP Vehicle Accident Report Form to DPP.
What should I do if a gas card is lost?

The Agency/Department must contact the Transportation Division to request and justify the card’s replacement. The Agency/Department will also be billed $10.00 per replacement card.

Can I put premium gas instead of regular gas in the Government vehicles?


How do I determine the available balance on the gas card?

Authorized employees who have access to the Total Pass System have the ability to view the account balance online.

What information is required for the station attendant for gas coupons?

All Government employees attempting to fuel a government vehicle must provide coupon with the following information:

  1. The Department/Agency’s name that the vehicle is assigned to;
  2. The vehicle license plate number;
  3. Employee number;
  4. Coupon with printed name and signature; and
  5. Government issued ID.
How do I utilize the gas card?

The Total Pass Petroleum System is only utilized in St. Thomas at this time.

The steps for the usage of the gas card are as follows:

  1. Enter authorized driver’s full name and employee number in the Total Pass System;
  2. Give the card to the cashier, notify him/her of the amount of fuel you would like;
  3. The Cashier will swipe the card;
  4. Employee will enter the last four (4) digits of the vehicle VIN #;
  5. The employee will enter the odometer (mileage) details of vehicle;
  6. The employee will enter their employee ID number;
  7. Pump the fuel; and
  8. The employee will return to the cashier to sign the receipt.

*Please note: All vehicles are issued a gas card that embeds the vehicle information. The card can only be used for the assigned vehicle.

**All agencies/departments are given a credit limit.

Can user agencies within the Executive Branch purchase vehicles that do not comply with DPP’s standardization specifications?

No. All agencies must purchase vehicles consistent with the standardization guidelines and/or the approval issued by DPP.

Can user agencies within the Executive Branch purchase vehicles without DPP’s approval?

No. Agencies must submit a written justification letter to the DPP Commissioner requesting approval to purchase vehicles and follow the steps to have the purchase authorized via the ERP system.

Can agencies bring their vehicles to Property and Procurement to be washed and detailed?

Yes. However, the facility is set up as a self-service. Coupons for the car wash can be purchased from the Fiscal Division in the Property and Procurement main building and exchanged for tokens to activate the machine at the Motor Pool (STT). This service is not available in St. Croix at this time.

How can my agency request a private license plate for a Government vehicle?

Only the Governor, Lt. Governor, Law Enforcement and the Judicial Branch of Government are authorized by law to utilize private license plates. Requests must be submitted in writing by the agency head of the above-mentioned department/agency to the Commissioner of the Department of Property and Procurement which will then be forwarded to the Governor for final approval.

How can my agency request a 24-hour red sticker?

Requests for twenty-four (24) hour red stickers must be requested in writing from the agency head of that department/agency to the Commissioner of the Department of Property and Procurement for approval.

Can I purchase a vehicle without attending the Public Auction?

No. However, after an auction is completed, if there are vehicles that have not been sold, they may be sold via sealed bid. DPP reserves the right to sell vehicles by sealed bid but it can also decide to hold the vehicle for a future auction, transfer to another agency, or otherwise dispose of it.

What is the frequency of government vehicle auctions?

Vehicle auctions are held every three (3) months. The auctions are advertised on the Department of Property and Procurement website, local radio stations, print media, and the Government Access Channel.